10 Helpful Tips for Your First Travel Nursing Assignment
Travel nursing is a fantastic way to earn great pay while visiting different hospitals and facilities around the country. As a AMN Healthcare travel nurse, you’ll have access to short-term travel nursing assignments in top facilities where you can use your skills to really make a difference.
As a leader in healthcare staffing, AMN Healthcare has compiled years’ worth of tips from our experienced travelers that will help make your transition into travel nursing a success.
Short-Term Travel Nursing Tips from Experienced Travel Nurses:
1. Understand the work environment. Find out a little about the floor and exactly what it’s like, how things are done, where supplies are kept.
2. Don’t assume every hospital does things the same way. Each hospital or facility is going to have their own policies and procedures. As a travel nurse, it’s important to remain adaptable and positive, even if things don’t always make sense.
3. Steer clear of office politics. Remember, you’re only there for a short time.
4. Be respectful. You may not always agree with your team’s approach, but you’re there to do a job, not to cause disruption.
5. Don’t gossip or talk behind people’s backs, no matter how tempted you might feel. Keep your frustrations to yourself or vent them to a family member or friend after your shift.
6. Explore the local area on your time off so you can check things off of your bucket list.
7. Learn, learn learn. No matter how long you’ve been an RN, there’s always something new you can learn - especially if you’re working at a top facility.
8. Keep perspective and take care of yourself. It’s not always going to be easy, but it’s not worth getting upset over since you’re only there a short time. Your health and well-being should always remain your top priority.
9. Use every opportunity to expand your skills. Take advantage of any new technology a facility is using so you add that to your skills checklist.
10. Take care of your health. Believe it or not, travel nurses can burn out on fun! Make sure you take time out to relax.
Short-term travel nursing is a chance to earn great money, make friends and create new memories. Whatever stage you’re at in your nursing career, short-term travel nursing jobs can open up a whole new world of possibilities for your career and for your life.
No matter how long you’ve been an RN, if this is your first short term travel nursing assignment, chances are you have a lot of questions about what to expect. AMN Healthcare has excellent resources to help answer any questions you may have about your upcoming assignment:
If you have any questions about your first short-term travel nursing assignment, or if you’re interested in learning more about travel nursing, contact us at AMN Healthcare.