Six Questions to Ask Before Starting Your Next Travel Nurse Assignment
1. What Will Be Expected Of Me On The Job?
2. Are My Assignment, Pay Rate, And Work Hours Guaranteed In Writing?
3. What Benefits Are Included With The Position And Who Provides Them?
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Life insurance
- Professional liability insurance
- Complimentary housing or a housing allowance
- Travel reimbursement
- Guaranteed pay for canceled shifts
- Continuing education opportunities or reimbursement
- Discounts on consumer goods and services
- Bonuses for sign-on, completion, extended stays, referrals, and hard-to-fill positions.
4. Have You Placed Travel Nurses At This Facility Before?
5. Who Do I Call If There's A Problem?
Many agencies offer around-the-clock clinical support for travel nurses on assignment. They may also have staffing specialists available after business hours to assist with assignment-related issues.
6. Is There Anything Important I Need To Know About This Assignment Or Facility?
This open-ended question is a great one to ask your recruiter, facility interviewers or contacts and any nurses you know who have experience with the facility because each party should have something different to say. Answers can give you potentially valuable insights and information about the facility and answer questions you may not have thought to ask. It can also alert you to potential red flags or prompt additional questions.
Other Questions To Ask
Although these six questions provide a great starting point for travel nurses to learn more about new assignments, it isn't an exhaustive list. Ultimately, the best questions are those you most want to be answered. If you want a more thorough picture of your next assignment, Nursing2020 offers a comprehensive list of questions for travel nurses to consider asking.
If you're ready to find your next assignment and hit the road, visit AMN Healthcare's job database to search for positions nationwide.
Additional Nursing Resources:
- AMN Passport: Our all-in-one nursing app for booking nursing jobs.
- Nursing Salary & Benefits: AMN Healthcare offers our nurses some amazing salaries and benefits. Find out what's in store for your nursing career today.
- Travel Nurse Licensing: Find out about nursing requirements for all 50 states.
- Exclusive Facilities: AMN Healthcare has relationships with the most sought-after healthcare providers.
- Refer-a-Friend: Make up to $2,000 per referral.