7 Ways NPs Make Healthcare Better
Happy National Nurse Practitioner Week
Nurse practitioners (NPs) have been serving as leaders, innovators, and advocates for community health for over 50 years. With their comprehensive knowledge and personal touch, they provide high-quality care that has earned them the reputation of having one of the "Best Jobs That Helps People." As providers of choice for millions of Americans, NPs are committed to maintaining and improving the health of their communities.
National Nurse Practitioner Week is November 12-18, 2023 and this year's theme is Recognizing Heroes in Health Care. Be sure to thank any NPs you see this week. NPs continue to play a significant role in providing timely access to quality healthcare for millions of patients across America.
Here are 7 ways that they make healthcare better.
- There are over 355,000 NPs now licensed to practice in the U.S. helping to alleviate the effects of the physician shortage.*
- The majority of full-time NPs (56.9%) see 3 or more patients per hour*
96.2% of NPs prescribe medications, and those in full-time practice write an average of 21 prescriptions per day*
- NPs play a crucial role in the growing trend of the population management/team-based care model
- NPs are playing a growing role in healthcare delivery due to the increased scope of practice regulations, cost considerations, and their proven ability to increase patient access and patient satisfaction.
- “NPs emphasize the health and well-being of the whole person in their approach, including helping patients make educated health care decisions and healthy lifestyle choices.”*
- 45.6% of full-time NPs hold hospital privileges; 10.9% have long-term care privileges.*
- Taking roles in both primary care and specialty medicine, NPs supplement the physician workforce and allow physicians to practice to the top of their training.
AMN Healthcare would like to thank all of the Nurse Practitioners out there who are making a huge impact on healthcare in America. Happy NP week!
Sources: AANP.org, AMN Heathcare 2023 Incentive Survey"