The Healthcare Professional’s Guide to Philadelphia
“The City of Brotherly Love” is Pennsylvania’s largest city, offering healthcare professionals a dynamic experience full of deep history and fun things to do. Philadelphia has a robust healthcare scene with several highly ranked hospitals and medical centers. In fact, it’s known as a city of “Healthcare Firsts” including the first hospital in the United States, the first medical school, and the first children’s hospital! When it comes to art and culture, Philadelphia has that covered too. The city is known for a thriving public art scene that includes sculptures and murals, beautiful museums, and meticulous gardens. Healthcare professionals looking to have it all can find everything they’re seeking in Philadelphia.
Living that Philadelphia Lifestyle
This second largest city on the East Coast is centrally located, making it easy to get to many other major cities nearby. Healthcare professionals can enjoy easy day trips to New York (about 1 hour 20 minutes away) and Washington DC. (1 hour 45 minutes).
There are countless benefits to living and working in Philadelphia, and the ability to earn excellent compensation is certainly on that list. Healthcare is an exciting way to make great money and benefit from countless other perks such as:
- You can set your schedule - Once you know your work schedule, you can plan the rest of your time accordingly. Want to spend an entire day, leisurely wandering in and out of shops? You can do that. Want to plan a weekend at a music festival? You can do that, too. Some healthcare professionals ask to stack their workdays together, so they’ll have blocks of time so they can travel more extensively during their downtime. Others just go with the flow.
- Travel locally to other areas near Philly - Another perk to Philadelphia’s strategic location is the ability to travel locally to other cities and states when based in the area. If you’re wrapping up a contract, have your recruiter check the area to see if there are any assignments in nearby areas, such as Camden or Wilmington.
- Plenty of activities and things to do on your days off - Philadelphia is teeming with countless things to do and see when you aren’t working a shift and using your clinical skills and knowledge. From world-renowned museums and monuments, historical hotspots, and plenty of shops and restaurants to explore, there’s no shortage of fun to be had on your next assignment.
- Enjoy a delicious, unique food scene - When it comes to food in Philly, let’s be honest -- the city’s namesake cheesesteak sub will always reign supreme. The original recipe combines thinly sliced pieces of beefsteak with melted cheese in a traditional hoagie roll. Pennsylvania is also known as one of the birthplaces of the chocolate creamy wonders known as Whoopie Pies, created by Amish women in their kitchens.
Let your recruiter know your career goals and ideal lifestyle so they can help you determine what kind of housing you’ll need to book to accommodate your support system. Live like a local in Philly by working hard and then enjoying the lifestyle of your choice.
Philadelphia’s Healthcare Scene
Working with a staffing company like AMN Healthcare is a great way to find out what it’s like to work in a particular kind of healthcare facility.
What kind of healthcare facility do you have in mind when you envision yourself working in? Do you want to work in a large urban medical center, or do you prefer a smaller hospital in the suburbs? Are you eager to work in a teaching hospital, or do you prefer a community hospital model?
It's important to start thinking about the facility that works best for your career growth and goals. With the wide array of healthcare jobs that we offer in Phildelphia, this foresight will help you narrow down your options.
AMN Healthcare has opportunities in Philadelphia at the following facility types:
- Large Hospitals
- Academic and Research Center
- Mid-Size & Smaller Hospitals
- Magnet Facilities
- Rehabilitation Centers
- Home Health Organizations
- Children’s Hospitals / Pediatric Facilities
- Nursing Homes / Long-Term Care Facilities
You can also search our job database for jobs for specialty roles. If you have a specialty certification or training under your belt, your experience is sure to be in demand.
Taking a job in Philadelphia is a terrific opportunity to boost your career, too. When you list that job on your resumé, that experience will make you a more desirable candidate for future jobs, wherever you go.
Top Things to See, Do & Eat
We know you’ll work hard when you’re on the job. But we hope you’ll devote just as much energy to enjoying your time off, too. To that end, we’ve put together a diverse list of activities and places to visit in Philadelphia to get you started.
- Independence Hall
It all started here. The Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution were both debated, signed, and adopted in this building by America’s founding fathers. Part of the National Park Service, construction on the building was started in 1732 and from there it became the birthplace of America’s values based on the universal principles of freedom and democracy. It has also been designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Philadelphia Museum of Art
An architectural masterpiece, the Philadelphia Museum of Art is an iconic staple of the city. In addition to the museum’s collections and special exhibitions, it also holds a special place in the heart of popular culture. Yes, you guessed it, the museum’s famous stairs are featured in several of the Rocky films. Lace up your running shoes and be sure to get a photo on the east-end stairs.
- The Liberty Bell
The massive bell was once hung atop Independence Hall, and it now sits on display in front of the building. The famous inscription on the bell reads “Proclaim Liberty Throughout All the Land Unto All the Inhabitants Thereof,” and it’s been inspiring Americans since the late 1700s. The bell cracked upon the first test strike, and although it’s been recast several times, the fissure is still a prominent part of the symbolic bell.
- Museum of the American Revolution
History buffs will be in awe to discover an impressive collection of documents, flags, art, and exhibits dedicated to this pivotal time in America’s history. The museum is newer to the scene (doors opened in 2017) and provides an interactive, diverse, and educational experience for all ages.
- Chinatown Friendship Gate
A visit to the bustling area of Chinatown is a must-do on every visitor’s Philadelphia itinerary. The colorful arch known as the Chinatown Friendship Gate marks the entrance to the area where you will also find authentic food and shops.
- Reading Terminal Market
Food lovers and shoppers will be delighted to spend an afternoon at the Reading Terminal Market. Dating back to the late 1800s, the market is a cultural hot spot. From the traditional Pennsylvania Dutch merchants to modern-day small businesses selling everything from fresh juices to flowers, there’s lots to see and do under one roof.
- The Love Statue
No assignment to Philadelphia would be complete without a souvenir photo of the famous Love Statue. Situated in the John F. Kennedy Plaza -- also known as Love Park -- the famous Robert Indiana sculpture was installed in 1976 and recently restored in 2018.
- The Rodin Museum
Unlike the other art institutions on our list, the Rodin Museum has a singular focus - world-renowned French sculptor Auguste Rodin. A visit to the museum is akin to stepping into a tranquil oasis with gorgeous works of art around every corner. There’s even a Garden Bar pop-up featuring craft cocktails, small plates, and live music!
- The Benjamin Franklin Parkway
Modeled after the Avenue des Champs-Élysées in Paris, The Benjamin Franklin Parkway is home to some of the city’s best museums and cultural attractions. Checked all the museums on your list? Not to worry, the Parkway is still worth a stroll thanks to its beautiful scenery and architecture found along the way.
- Authentic Philly Cheesesteaks
You can’t miss Philadelphia’s iconic sandwich: the Philadelphia cheesesteak, a hot roast beef and melted cheese on a roll. Try some of the best purveyors of cheesesteaks in the city when you dine at John’s Roast Pork, Pat’s King of Steaks, Geno’s Steaks, or others.
Why work with AMN Healthcare?
We proudly offer an incredible array of well-paying healthcare jobs, including many in Philadelphia. We’re also proud of our dedicated staff of recruiters, our clinical experts and other support teams for healthcare professionals, the excellent benefits, and all the other opportunities that we can offer.
Here are a few key reasons to consider signing on with us:
- We make it easy for you. We designed the AMN Passport app to make it easy to search for jobs and book assignments. You can also use the app to manage your assignments, connect with like-minded professionals, and much more.
- You’ll gain access to our database of healthcare jobs. We have the largest, most comprehensive database of healthcare jobs in the industry, including exclusive contracts with several leading healthcare organizations, including prestigious magnet hospitals.
- We offer full-time support. Our team wants you to succeed, so we offer support and make sure you get everything that you need. Your recruiter is always available to talk with you about current or future jobs. We also have dedicated team members to answer questions and troubleshoot problems if you have need help with housing, credentialing, or payroll, too.
- We offer round-the-clock clinical support. If you run into a question about a clinical matter on the job, you can call our clinical team and receive urgent assistance at any time of day or night.
- We offer licensure assistance. Depending on your role and location, we offer various levels of licensure support to help you work as soon as possible.
AMN Healthcare also offers some of the best benefits in the healthcare industry.
- Premium health benefits. Perhaps more important than ever before, our health benefits will give you the peace of mind to know that you have access to healthcare when you need it, too. Our options include PPO and HMO health benefits, as well as life insurance, vision insurance, and disability insurance – for you and your family. Plus, you don’t have to wait a month or three for these benefits to kick in. Coverage starts on Day One.
- Retirement savings. We offer a generous 401(k) matching program that will help you save money for your retirement.
- Free continuing education. To make it easier for you to stay updated on the latest evidence-based research and developments in your profession, we offer free continuing education unit (CEU) courses.
- Complimentary Employee Assistance Program. Your well-being matters. That's why we provide you and your family with resources for healthcare, mental health, financial health, and other support. Learn more about this robust support program here.