What Is Medical Auditing?
Medical auditing plays an important role in accurate documentation for any healthcare organization, helping to ensure a liability-free operation and identify areas for improvement. The role of a medical auditor is to conduct internal and external reviews of coding accuracy, policies, and procedures of a medical provider to ensure efficient and cost-effective delivery of care.
With documentation mistakes happening easily in any medical setting, medical auditors are tasked with the responsibility of identifying any incorrect or missing documentation that could have negative results for their facility, such as loss in accreditations, physicians’ licenses or Medicare status. In addition to conducting close reviews, medical auditors also educate their respective medical staff on proper documenting procedures and provide updates with regard to new coding, government, and insurance guidelines.
With a positive job outlook, medical auditing is a great career path for anyone interested in the healthcare information field. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, opportunities in health information careers (including medical auditing) are expected to grow by 15 percent by 2024.
As medical auditing becomes an increasingly popular career path, it has become more difficult for many organizations to find the best talent in a large pool of candidates.
When you use AMN Healthcare to recruit medical auditors for your organization, we identify candidates who possess only the best qualifications, including the following:
- Associate degree in health information or related field
- Professional medical auditor certification (sometimes optional)
- Experienced with medical documentation, fraud, abuse, and penalties for documentation and coding violations
- Understanding and knowledge of critical coding concepts
- Medical record auditing skills
- Quality assurance and coding risk analysis
- High level of attention to accuracy; detail-oriented
- Strong communication skills for sharing results and findings
If your organization is seeking qualified clinical documentation specialists, look no further than AMN Healthcare. Get in touch with one of our skilled recruiters today and let us help you grow your team.