Want to Work in the Best Children's Hospitals in the U.S.?
Pediatric nurses have the distinct honor and privilege of taking care of our future. Some work in pediatric primary care, while others serve in pediatric hospitals. From the PICU or pediatric oncology unit to pediatric step-down and OR, there are many different hospital units where a pediatric nurse can work.
But what makes a children’s hospital stand out from others? We looked to the new U.S. News & World Report’s list of Best Children's Hospitals that was released in June 2021 to give travel nurses the scoop on our nation’s best pediatric facilities.
Now in its 15th year, the annual U.S. News list of Best Children's Hospitals ranks the nation’s top 50 medical centers in 10 specialties. Using surveys of hospitals and pediatric specialists across the country, rankings are based on how well a hospital performed in three broad areas of quality, including clinical outcomes, efficient coordination of care services and providing care-related resources, including ample nursing staff.
The final 2021-22 list includes 89 hospitals ranked among the top 50 in at least one pediatric medical specialty. Ten children’s hospitals were named to the annual Honor Roll, for being highly ranked in many specialties. This year, pediatric facilities were also highlighted for being best in their state or region.
Want to work at one of the nation’s best children’s hospitals? Ask an AMN Healthcare recruiter about pediatric nursing jobs at these and other top-ranked facilities.
The Best Children’s Hospitals 2021-22 Honor Roll
- Boston Children’s Hospital secured the No. 1 spot on this year’s Honor Roll list from U.S. News. It ranked as the top hospital in four specialty areas, and was highly ranked in the other six children’s specialties. It was also ranked No. 1 in both Massachusetts and the New England region. This is the 8th year in a row that this renowned facility has secured the top overall spot.
“In a year full of tough times and many challenges, we are extremely honored to be named the top children’s hospital in the nation,” said Boston Children’s CEO and president, Kevin B. Churchwell, MD, in a press release. “This ranking is a testament to our deeply committed Boston Children’s family, who never wavered as we moved forward through the pandemic together. Despite all the unknowns, our team remained focused, strong and safe, supporting our patients and families, near and far, remotely and in-person. They did whatever it took to get the job done, and I am enormously proud of them.”
- Runner-up on the Honor Roll is Children’s Hospital Philadelphia, which is also highly ranked in 10 specialties and ranked No. 1 in both Pennsylvania and in the Mid-Atlantic region. This teaching hospital is a general medical and surgical facility and an excellent place to work as a pediatric nurse.
- Coming in at No. 3 is Texas Children’s Hospital located in Houston, which ranked No. 1 in Texas and the Southwest region. “For the fifth year in a row, Texas Children’s is named as the best place in the country for children in need of pediatric cardiology and heart surgery care,” according to the hospital’s website. “Additionally, eight of the hospital’s subspecialties rank within the top five. For 13 years, no other pediatric hospital in Texas has achieved an overall ranking as high as Texas Children’s.”
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center is ranked No. 4 on the Best Children’s Hospitals list. This teaching hospital and children’s general medical and surgical facility operates as a Level 1 pediatric trauma center and Level 1 surgery center. It ranked No. 1 in both Ohio and the Midwest region, and was also nationally ranked in 10 pediatric specialties.
- Rounding out the top five is Children's Hospital Los Angeles. This California teaching hospital is also ranked nationally in 10 specialties and it operates a PICU, an onsite pediatric ED, and a children’s wellness program. It ranked No. 1 for both the state of California and the Western region.
Ranking in 6th through 10th place on the national Honor Roll are the following facilities:
- Children's Hospital Colorado, Aurora, Colorado
- Children's National Hospital, Washington, D.C.
- Nationwide Children's Hospital, Columbus, Ohio
- UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Lucile Packard Children's Hospital Stanford, Palo Alto, California
The Top Pediatric Hospitals in 10 Specialties
The U.S. News report ranked the best children’s hospitals in 10 different specialties. The top winner in each category included:
- Cancer: Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
- Cardiology & Heart Surgery: Texas Children's Hospital, Houston
- Diabetes & Endocrinology: Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
- Gastroenterology & GI Surgery: Children's Hospital Colorado, Aurora
- Neonatology: Children's National Hospital, Washington, D.C.
- Nephrology: Boston Children's Hospital
- Neurology & Neurosurgery: Boston Children's Hospital
- Orthopedics: Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
- Pulmonology & Lung Surgery: Boston Children's Hospital
- Urology: Boston Children's Hospital
The report includes full rankings of the top 50 hospitals within each pediatric specialty. Pediatric travel nurses looking to build their resumes can seek out contracts at these nationally-ranked facilities.
Use Your Skills as a Traveling Pediatric Nurse
As a travel nurse, you’ll have the opportunity to choose where and when you work, expand your clinical knowledge, explore new parts of the country, and make lifelong connections with new colleagues and friends. And our experienced team will be there to help you every step of the way.