5 Tips for Choosing your SLP Clinical Fellowship
Congratulations, you’ve just graduated! You’re on your way to becoming a fully-fledged speech-language pathologist! Before you receive your ASHA Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology (CCC-SLP), you must first complete your CF (Clinical Fellowship). We know how overwhelming it can be to choose the right Clinical Fellowship for you. That's why we asked our clinical team to gather some tips to consider when deciding on your CF. Check them out!
1. Setting, Location, Salary
- Salary will vary according to location
- Some major cities pay more, but the cost of living is higher as well
- Medical settings are generally harder to obtain, while school settings tend to be easier to come by for CFs
- Be flexible with your location or salary expectations
2. Mentorship and Overall Support
- Mentorship is one of the most essential aspects when deciding your CF
- Look for a mentor who is experienced, flexible, and readily available when you need them
- Contract positions offer free CEUs
- Mentorship from seasoned professionals
- SLP networks like forums and social groups
3. Is the Site CF Friendly?
- Make sure the site has worked with CFs in the past
- Look for someone onsite who can answer facility and district-specific questions
- If you work with a recruiter, they will make sure that the facility is CF-friendly and hook you up with a mentor.
4. Hours and Availability
- Confirm the number of hours offered a week so you can finish your CF when you expect to
- To finish in 36 weeks, you need to complete at least 35 hours per week
- Working more than 35 hours a week will not shorten your CF, but working less than 35, will extend the number of weeks required to reach 1,260 hours
5. Have a Backup Plan
- Where you do your CF doesn't determine the rest of your career - have a backup plan
- If you are searching for something that is niche or very competitive, set a deadline for that plan, so you can ensure that you start your CF on time
- Be flexible and focus on the end goal in mind
- Your CCC’s are like your SLP golden ticket to having more options available!