ANA to Host Inaugural Nurse Staffing Conference
Date Posted: May 14, 2013
May 14, 2013 - The American Nurses Association (ANA) is convening a unique staffing conference, Fostering Innovative Staffing Solutions, to empower nurses and staffing managers to discover, learn, and create inventive solutions to the complex challenge of determining and delivering appropriate nurse staffing.
Co-hosted by the American Nurses Foundation (ANF), the conference will be grounded in the latest research and provide attendees with new tools, strategies, approaches, and other practical solutions to help nurses develop staffing plans that will elevate patient care and foster more efficient, affirming work environments.
“We know that when there are appropriate nurse staffing levels, patient outcomes improve,” said ANA President Karen A. Daley, PhD, RN, FAAN. “Nurse staffing has long been a priority for ANA, and this conference will facilitate new conversations around these issues and arm nurses with the tools necessary to deliver exceptional patient care and develop more supportive work environments.”
The day and a half conference takes place November 8-9, 2013 at the Washington Hilton in Washington, D.C. Conference attendees can expect engaging multimedia presentations from dynamic nurse staffing experts, idea generation activities, and stimulating discussions focused on real-life examples of specific staffing solutions. Attendees will also learn about the latest technological advances in staffing designed to optimize staff, reduce costs, and improve patient outcomes.
In addition to engaging nurses around best practices and innovative staffing strategies and tools, ANA will solicit attendees’ input for an outline of the elements of a business case for staffing. This input will shape the final product.
Featured conference speakers and topics include:
- Barbara A. Blakeney, MS, RN, FNAP, past president of ANA and the current innovations specialist at the Center for Innovation in Care Delivery in the Institute for Patient Care at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston
- TOPIC:Building Leading Practices Through Leadership and Innovation
- Sean Clarke, RN, PhD, FAAN, director of the McGill Nursing Collaborative
- TOPIC:Organizational Climate: Impact on Nurse Staffing and Patient Outcomes
- Jennifer Mensik, PhD, RN, NEA-BC, FACHE, administrator for Nursing and Patient Care at St Luke’s Health System, ANA board member, and author of “The Nurse Manager’s Guide to Innovative Staffing"
- TOPIC:Care Delivery Models: How and Why They Impact Care Delivery
The 2013 ANA Staffing Conference is targeted to nurses involved in staffing decisions and nurses who may influence staffing decisions, such as CNOs, nurse managers, staff nurses on staffing committees, staffing coordinators, risk managers, and quality assurance managers. To register, please visit www.anastaffingconference.org. For additional information, please contact ANA by calling 800-274-4ANA (4262) or via email at email@example.com.
Related articles and papers:
Pervasive Fatigue and Burnout Reported by Healthcare Workers
Nurse Understaffing and Burnout Linked to More Hospital Infections
States' Nurse Staffing Bills Differ in Approach
Preventing Never Events: Evidence-based Nurse Staffing - white paper